[Hidden-tech] Can anyone help my mom with a spammy virus?

B. Kimo Lee bklee at azurelink.com
Thu May 19 13:24:15 EDT 2011

Hi Shel,

The below is from:
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/05/02/bogus-macdefender-malware-campaign-targets-mac-users-using-google-images/

Best,
Kimo

Luckily, disabling and removing the bogus MacDefender application is
easy. (You could also apply these directions to MacProtector.) If you
have been infected and want to make sure it no longer resides on your
system, follow the steps below:
To ensure you do not automatically download the app, uncheck the
following: Safari > Preferences > General > uncheck “Open “safe” files
after downloading”.
Searching for the application and deleting it directly may fail,
saying the app is in use. To stop it running, check Activity Monitor
(in Applications > Utilities) and disable anything that relates to
MacDefender.
Look in /Library/StartupItems and, same place, LaunchAgents and
LaunchDaemons for references to the malware app.
Once quit, head to the Applications folder and drag the MacDefender
app to the trash, then delete trash.
To ensure all references to the app are cleared, run a search using
Spotlight and delete all MacDefender references you find.

AZURELINK  ::  "Simply Connected!"
Web Site Design & Scalable, Managed Web Hosting
Joomla! Content Management System Implementation
eCommerce Development
321 Main Street, Suite 4
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 549-2020