[Hidden-tech] Problem with MYSQL Server - Magento !!

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue May 10 10:53:33 EDT 2011

On Mon, 09 May 2011 19:51:01 -0300, Afranio Torres Neto <webal at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am hoping someone is familiar with an error message I am getting via
> Magento. The errors says: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local
> MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2). I
> searched online and had several answers to this error, but they all
> differ so I  thought maybe HT techies had an idea on solving the
> problem.  Someone else used a server to do the job and then we brought
> back into another server in the company.

The answers probably differ because the cause of the problem can differ.
Fundamentally, this error message is telling you that Magento is
configured to try to talk to the MySQL database using a "local socket",
and that when it tried to open that socket nothing answered.  That could
indicate a configuration error in Magento, in MySQL, or it could indicate
that MySQL isn't even running.

Does the named socket identified in the error message exist?  Can you
connect to MySQL using the 'mysql' command line utility?

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com