[Hidden-tech] Amtrak Wifif

Edbride-PR Ed at edbride-pr.com
Sat Jun 25 15:52:17 EDT 2011

As much as I like to be connected while en route, I'm not sure that Wi-Fi
(free or not) would make much of a difference in my plans for a short-range
trip. To me, Albany-to-NY or even Philadelphia qualifies as short-range.
Washington, D.C., closer to 400 miles, that's a different matter. For a trip
of that distance, time en-route is going to have a much bigger impact than
Wi-Fi vs. disconnected. If I can't afford an entire business day en route,
I'll fly, Wi-Fi or not.

Amtrak could probably offer Wi-Fi if it wanted, but I don't imagine they see
it as a competitive advantage right now, and they're not in the habit of
spending "needlessly" on customer conveniences. On the other hand, some
expert in interstate commerce, rail subsidies, and other such matters may
tell us that Amtrak is not permitted to offer Wi-Fi. Anybody on board with
that (sorry)?

Ed