[Hidden-tech] Mini-DV tape recommendations

Will Loving will at dedicationtechnologies.com
Mon Jun 20 15:23:17 EDT 2011

I'm looking for recommendations/guidance on purchasing Mini-DV tapes. In
looking at various website and reviews I've noted the following overall
comments and observations:

- most tapes are pretty similar in quality
- stick with one brand; tape lubricant formations vary from brand to
  brand and mixing brands can result in heads getting gummed up faster
- the two most common brands seem to be Panasonic and Sony
- the two most common lengths are 60 and 63 minutes, with the 63 minute
  tapes being marketed as "Premium" though it's not clear that there is
  anything more different other than the length. For example, all the
  Panasonic "DVC" tapes are 60 minute and appear to be consumer oriented.
- Some "Premium" or "Professional" tapes cost considerably more but
  there does not appear to be much in the way of measurable difference
  other than the price and possibly manufacturing tolerances.

Any comments, recommendations or guidance would be much appreciated. I need
to purchase several 10-packs asap and need to make a decision about what
brand and type to buy.

Will

--

William M. Loving