[Hidden-tech] iPhone syncing: MobileMe vs. iTunes

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Jun 8 10:37:08 EDT 2011

It's just been announced, so no one will have any experience to say how it works over time, but . . .

On Tuesday, at Apple's Developer's Conference, Steve Jobs made a bunch of announcements that are all
centered around what your client wants to do. MobileMe is going to be replaced with iCloud, which
will provide tetherless syncing of all your devices. That is to say, you don't have to connect your
mobile device to your Mac with a wire and sync through iTunes. It all goes through the cloud. Also,
it's free.

If you go to Apple's web site, iCloud if the main item. Click from there to watch the keynote or to
get details.

According to a tweet from Small Dog, some of the new features have already hit the iOS update for
mobile devices. Others will come along with iOS 5. I'm not sure where Mac OS X stands. Clearly it
will be in Lion. I didn't see anything about Snow Leopard on a quick scan.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4