[Hidden-tech] WiredWest needs feedback needed on your telecommunications needs.

Matthew S. Crocker matthew at corp.crocker.com
Sun Jun 5 16:04:10 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

GigE is easily obtained with commodity parts these days.  sub $100 optics on each end.
10GigE is easy to obtain but still pretty expensive
40GigE & 100 GigE are out in the backbone but insanely expensive.

Ethernet is the way to go, it has won the layer 2 war and will have the lowest costs associated to it due to high volume.

64 lambdas (wavelengths) is also pretty common.  We have a customer running 64 x 10Gigabit lambdas through our datacenter on one pair of fiber.

I think 1 gigabit/second to the home is enough to handle all current and future technology (for the next 5-10 years ??).  Comcast is already running 100mbps over DOCSIS in certain markets.

1 gigabit/second to homes would overwhelm the backbone but that is for backbone operators to figure out.

My core is currently built on GigE switches but that will be upgraded to 10GigE over the next 12 months or so in preparation for the MBI fiber