[Hidden-tech] WiredWest needs feedback needed on your telecommunications needs.

Reva Reck reva at revareck.com
Fri Jun 3 12:57:43 EDT 2011

Dear Hidden-techies,

     WiredWest, which you may already know plans to bring
fiberoptic internet to 47 towns in Western Mass, is in the
process of deciding on a network architecture. We would like
feedback from those of you whose businesses or local clients
have heavy internet/telecomm needs.

     One option is GPON, basically what Verizon uses for
Fios. The other is Active Ethernet, often marketed as
MetroE. Without getting technical, and at the risk of
over-simplifying, Active Ethernet gives you the same speeds
uploading as downloading and is capable of providing more
bandwidth - up to a gigabit and beyond. Fios/GPON goes up to
25 meg and can be symmetrical for high-end customers but is
almost always offered with faster download speeds than
upload speeds. GPON is usually used more for consumers to
deliver phone, internet, and TV. Active Ethernet can do that
too, but is needed by business with high bandwidth needs,
and is better for delivering specialized services.  For
those of us struggling along with satellite or slow and
unreliable DSL, Fios seems like plenty, but we also need to
consider the future and how our network will help spur
business growth.

     There are many factors which go into making this
decision, but the one we are interested in hearing from you
about is whether or not you see your business or your
clients' businesses needing the more expandable bandwidth
offered by Active Ethernet now and over the next decade or
so. Or is GPON good enough?

Thanks in advance for your input,  Reva

/Reva Reck/

/reva//@//revareck.com/