[Hidden-tech] Coldfusion Programmers in Northampton/Easthampton? -- or other options for web system development

Daniel Fried dan at creativeconstructs.com
Mon Jul 25 09:31:23 EDT 2011

Actually, the fact that ColdFusion compiles to Java means that you can hire
Java developers to build your core libraries, where Java excels, and build
the interface in ColdFusion which is FAR better for that task than the
mishmash of hacks that try to make JSP usable.  Yeah, I know people swear by
Spring and Hibernate and all the rest of those technologies, but that really
is a mess compared to the languages that were build for web development.

Even PHP, which I am not overly fond of as a language (I mean seriously,
whose idea was it to use a period as a string operator?), is better than JSP
for the front end.

The one point I will give you is that ColdFusion developers are harder to
find around here for some reason, although there are places where they are
not that hard to find at all.  (Mind you they are not non-existent, there
are a number of companies that use ColdFusion in the valley, even if there
are not nearly as many as there are companies that use PHP) And frankly I'd
rather teach a smart Java developer enough ColdFusion to develop a front end
than to have them switch to a Java framework they've never used before.

I realize that most of this is personal preference.  I come from a C/C++
background so PHP drives me up a wall, but I have come to appreciate the
clean systems of the truly web focused development platforms like PHP.  This
group also includes things like ColdFusion and ASP.NET and I REALLY like
ColdFusion for what it is, even though I readily acknowledge its limitations
and faults (primarily the smaller developer base), so I will argue with
those who hear "built in ColdFusion" and immediately, without consideration
of the specific needs of the code recommend immediate migration.

-Dan