[Hidden-tech] Sharing wifi between apartments

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Wed Jan 12 17:21:40 EST 2011

That reminds me of another WiFi problem to consider:

The very popular 2.45 GHz WiFi band is known among radio engineers as the
"garbage band," because of the user it was originally allocated for;
microwave ovens.

Those beauties are allocated to operate on 2.45 GHz +/- 50 MHz, a bit more
than the entire US WiFi band. And they are allowed to drift in frequency
over the whole band, which many of them do.

In my house I have had my Amana Radarange block both WiFi and an IBM
cordless phone until I changed ovens. Now interference only occurs when I
have the cordless phone near the router.

Remember, this is radio. All the code division, time division and
spread-spectrum digital tricks can not solve most radio interference
issues. If the received WiFi signal is blocked, squashed, walked on, or
just plain jammed, it ain't gonna work.

Jim Ussailis
jim at nationalwireless.com