[Hidden-tech] MIFI - mobile internet

Paul Stallman paul at alias-solutions.com
Wed Jan 12 07:52:16 EST 2011

I tether my T-Mobile android phone with a free app called pdanet its on the
marketplace.  Doesn't require rooting the phone. Works great.  Just requires
using a USB cable. Bluetooth is supported as well.

There are wiring tethering options if you root your phone.

On Jan 11, 2011 4:55 PM, "Chris Hoogendyk" <hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu> wrote:

** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
** If you did, we all...

On 1/11/11 11:54 AM, James Triplett wrote:
> On (10/01/11 22:26), Tamar Schanfeld wrote:
>> Date: Mo...

>> My friend is looking into getting a mobile hotspot. The best deal
>> seems to be Virgin's $40 a m...
Interesting that today Verizon announced it would begin selling the iPhone
in February.

One news article had an interesting comparison between Verizon and AT&T's
version of the iPhone --
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/verizons-iphone-4-vs-atts-iphone-4-twins-compared/
.

The Verizon version allows it to be a mobile hotspot, while AT&T locks it
down.

The Verizon version doesn't allow simultaneous data and voice. So, you can't
check out an address or
map location while talking to someone. With AT&T you can.

And, of course, Verizon has different data plans and prices, not yet
announced.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>