[Hidden-tech] MIFI - mobile internet

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Tue Jan 11 11:54:11 EST 2011

On (10/01/11 22:26), Tamar Schanfeld wrote:
> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:26:01 -0500
> From: Tamar Schanfeld <tamar at tnrglobal.com>
> To: hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] MIFI - mobile internet
>
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> My friend is looking into getting a mobile hotspot. The best deal
> seems to be Virgin's $40 a month unlimited plan
> http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/.
> The coverage for that is Sprint. Can anyone tell me how is Sprint 3G
> coverage in the Northampton, Amherst, and Greenfield areas?
>
> Also, other suggestions for internet on the go? I see AT&T and Verizon
> both have similar plans, but without an unlimited data option.
>
> Or is there a way to do a tethering thing with a t-mobile android
> phone (that she already has) and a laptop?

I use my Verizon Android phone tethered with no problem. Not sure how
Sprint does the data plans, since their coverage is spotty in Western Mass.
The applications are also dependent on which Android version the phone uses.

There are 3 choices:

1. "3G mobile hotspot" (new Android 2.2 feature), which turns the phone into a
hotspot, like the Mifi.  Once you turn on this option, your unlimited data
plan switches to one that is capped at 5G.

2. "mobile broadband connect", which allows the phone to share it's connection
over a USB cable.  Also causes your data plan to be capped.

3. Third party App: "PDANET', which allows the phone to share it's connection
over USB.  Sinces it's a third party app, it doesn't change the unlimited data plan.
I suspect this would work on Sprint as well.

good luck,
James