[Hidden-tech] Looking for an affordable local Web Host

Evan Gregg reservoir-productions at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 14:33:12 EST 2011

My name is Evan Gregg and I'm new to this mailing list and hidden-tech in general.  I recently launched a website called The Location Reservoir which is dedicated to increasing film production in Western Mass.  The site features a photographic database of local properties that are available as filming locations as well as a variety of resources connecting the local community and the film industry at large.

The site is growing quickly and I'm looking for a more flexible and hopefully local web hosting option.  Although I will probably revamp the site at a later date for now I'm happy with it the way I've set it up so I'm not looking for a designer, developer or webmaster, just a host and domain registrar.

The site has many individual pages (more everyday) and a somewhat complex structure but the most elaborate thing on any one page is the occasional rss feed, video, and google map.  Mostly it's just a ton of photo galleries.  The site requires constant updating so I plan on continuing to handle the bulk of the web work for the time being.

Until now the mobileme servers have been adequate but the page has grown to the point where I need more flexibility and better speed.  The domain name is also up for renewal and I'd like to register it the same place that I am hosting.

Because the main goal of the site is to promote the region I would like to keep it as local as possible.  That being said I don't have much money and the cheap prices for the big companies are pretty tempting.  I know that those sites have certain risks and ultimately I get what I pay for but at the moment I can only pay so much.

That being said I am very interested in collaborating with other businesses and as I will be actively marketing to the local community and the film industry at large any business that I do collaborate with will definitely get exposure to possible customers and clients.

So, I was wondering if there were any local hosts who might be interested in collaborating in exchange for some type of deal on hosting.  I'm also curious if anyone has had success with a strategy like this with any local companies who may not be on this mailing list.  Any help would be appreciated as I would like to move to a new server as soon as possible.

I don't want to start a bidding war on here because I'm sure it's a topic that has been covered before and not everyone will want to read about it so feel free to email me directly at reservoir-productions at comcast.net or call me at 917.579.4059.

Thanks for your time and check out the site!

Evan Gregg
Location Scout & Manager for Film/Tv/Etc
Greenfield, MA
reservoir-productions at comcast.net
917.579.4059
http://www.locationreservoir.com