[Hidden-tech] backing up a FreeBSD server

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Feb 1 12:48:11 EST 2011

On 2/1/11 8:49 AM, Andrew Bellak wrote:
> Dear HT,
>
> Our saga continues.  Our tech dude says that JungleDisk online backup may not play well with a
> FreeBSD server.
>
> We'd appreciate any help/feedback on this.

Amanda works with Amazon S3, and should install on FreeBSD. You can get the source here
http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php and there are some comments about FreeBSD here
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Installation/OS_Specific_Notes/Installing_Amanda_on_FreeBSD. If you
want, you can set it up to back up all your machines, and it has a major advantage with the Amanda
planner and the configurability of dump cycles and disk list entries. Rather than having to do all
the fulls at once and then trickle along with incrementals until the next set of fulls, it will
automatically distribute load over as many days as you configure to minimize the load on any given
day. You can also selectively do only the data that matters rather than the whole system if you are
worried about bandwidth out to S3. You do need to be a bit of a sysadmin, but if you are running a
FreeBSD server, I sort of assume you are.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4