[Hidden-tech] backing up a FreeBSD server

Andrew Bellak andrew at stakeholderscapital.com
Tue Feb 1 08:49:19 EST 2011

Dear HT,

Our saga continues.  Our tech dude says that JungleDisk online backup
may not play well with a FreeBSD server.

We'd appreciate any help/feedback on this.

Thanks,
Andrew

"Jungle Disk and Amazon S3 should present absolutely no problem for your
windows server. But, the FreeBSD server is another story altogether. One
way to deal with it would be to basically dump the FreeBSD server's data
to the Windows server, then upload the mess to Jungle Disk. There are
other ways I am sure also. Apparently JungleDisk's scripts used to work
fine on FreeBSD, then they upgraded and now they don't work so well.

Keep in mind the data numbers I gave you and that you see in your tape
library just represent data - critical configuration data as well as
docs, spreadsheets and the like - but they do not contain all operating
system data nor can they be so what is known as a cold bare metal
restore could be accomplished with only that data.

Right now, if your servers crashed, I or someone like me would need to
reload the operating systems from disk, get them going and then add back
the recovered data and configurations. Bare metal restore is certainly
faster/better, but requires considerable planning, work, and testing to
accomplish the goal.

I'd also want to investigate just what is available and makes sense for
FreeBSD before embarking on anything."