[Hidden-tech] Wednesday "freemium business models" discussion invite

Jon Reed jonreed at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 13:34:55 EDT 2011

Hey folks,

Since we don't have any Hidden Tech programs in the summer I've
organized an interactive discussion on a topic that never loses
importance for me: how creative types can use new digital tools to
create new business models, often with "freemium" approaches.

The event is this coming Wednesday the 17th at the Media Education
Foundation room in Northampton, MA.

It starts at 5:30, and it's a fundraiser for the Independent Music
Conference so if you're so included you can bring a $10 donation for
that. Noel Ramos of the IMC will be facilitating this discussion with me.

The program itself will be a variation on ones I have done in the
past including one at the IMC for musicians, but it's open to
creative folks of all types (including developers and code hackers!)
who want to share their successes with new "freemium" approaches and
digital distribution methods. Of course we can talk social media
tactics as well, but the goal of this talk is to cut a bit deeper
into the issues, take an honest look at the obstacles as well as the
opportunities, and come out with some practical ideas we can put to
use. Noel will be presenting on crowdfunding tactics specifically.

I'll paste in some more program information below from our event
page. I'm travelling the next couple of days so if you have any
questions about the program the best thing to do is to call me.

Here's a link to the Facebook version of the event:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=263505557009514

Hope to see some of you Wednesday...

Jon Reed
413 586 4590

"Artists across many fields are concerned about the future of
intellectual property in an era of online content proliferation.
However, with new digital distribution methods also come new
opportunities, especially those who aspire to build their own brand
or community. Please join us for a freewheeling discussion on how
artists - including musicians, writers, and yes, code hackers - can
respond to these trends and tap into new audiences.

On Wednesay, August 17 at the Media Education Foundation in downtown
Northampton, join Jon Reed, author of Free From Corporate America,
and Noel Ramos, mastermind behind the Independent Music Conferences,
for an interactive discussion on "making the most of free." We'll
talk about the obstacles to monetizing, and also share our successes
through creating kickass content and/or "freemium" business models,
where some digital content is given away in order to increase
audience and generate interest in paid products. We'll also talk
about how socialized media and online communities can help to spark a
creative person's career, with a focus on real-life examples. We're
hoping to broadcast this event live as well, but to make sure to get
in on the discussion, definitely come to the MEF in person!"

---

About Jon Reed: Jon Reed is an independent analyst and podcaster in
the SAP software marketplace. He advises clients on community-based
marketing and organic search. In his free moments, he advises artists
on how to better finance their own subversive projects. The author of
Free From Corporate America: A Tactical Guide to Success on Your Own
Terms and two other books, Jon is an expert in Print on Demand
publishing. He is a founding Hidden-Tech Board Member.