[Hidden-tech] Technical Drawings Software for Mac

Philip Havens Technology Consulting phil at philiphavens.com
Thu Apr 28 10:56:38 EDT 2011

Greetings HT'ers,
I'm always impressed by great feedback for software suggestions, so I'm going to throw a request out to y'all. I'm interested in hearing your suggestions for technical drawing or illustration software. A couple things to qualify my request:
1) The software must run on Apple OS X 10.x and Intel processor.
2) I doubt that I'm going to use this software on a regular basis, so ease of use and somewhat short learning curve would be advantageous (though not required)
3) The project that I'm considering using this for involves recreating some exploded machine parts diagrams from a very poor quality scanned image
4) The end purpose is to include the diagrams in a printed catalog (using Adobe InDesign - I already have CS5 Design Premium)
5) Would Adobe Illustrator be an appropriate tool for this?  If so, do you have any recommended sources for symbol libraries. I did google search and found some, but not sure of the quality of the search results. www.codezebra.com popped up a few times.
6) I don't need drawing precision that would be required for a blueprint, architectural drawing or engineering diagram.

Hopefully this is enough info to generate some feedback, but if I can clarify anything, I'd be happy to.
Thanks for any suggestions and feedback. Phil.....