[Hidden-tech] Apple does it again - releases smallest phone ever

Duane Dale duane.dale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:54:05 EDT 2011

Rich and all:

Writer and scientist Arthur C. Clarke -- author of the book on which *2001:
A Space Odyssey *was based -- offered us three laws about prediction. Here's
wikipedia's version:

   1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
   possible, he is almost certainly right; when he states that something is
   impossible, he is probably wrong.
   2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a
   little way past them into the impossible.
   3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

The phrase, "The difficult we do at once; the impossible takes a little
longer," may be the right follow-on to #1 and #2 (even though it pre-dates
them: it seems to have been a slogan of the Army Corps of Engineers, from
World War II days; Clarke's laws appeared in a 1962 essay).

So: Consider that the iGlass is the difficult, and consider this as "the
impossible":

About twenty years ago, I found an article in an in-flight magazine about
miniaturization which plotted this trajectory toward technologically-enabled
*telepathy*:
(1) Miniaturization of cell phones is limited by the size necessary for
human fingertips to operate touchpads,
(2) Voice activation renders touchpads unnecessary. The limit is now "large
enough to not get lost among your pocket change. Lapel pin? (Star Trek
communicator badge?) And what's pocket change, anyway?
(3) If the essential electronics of a cell phone could be embedded under the
skin, we wouldn't have to worry about losing them. (Star Trek again: search
Star Trek subcutaneous transponder -- but the current implanted pet IDs have
some of that, though not the range.)
(4) Those implanted mini-cell-phones would need some sort of audio output --
unless they could tap into the "wearer's" neural system and go "direct to
neural."
(5) And they would need audio pick-up too (a mini-microphone), unless they
could be designed to pick up pre-verbalization neuro-muscular activity.
(6) With all of that accomplished, one might merely need to think about
one's best beloved and you'd be in direct, unspoken contact with him or her.
"Hi, honey. I'm in a meeting. Did you mean to call, or were you just
thinking about me?"

-- Duane Dale
   from snowy central New Hampshire

...Details about new iGlass