[Hidden-tech] Join us this Saturday for Resilient Business Summit

Jon Reed jonreed at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 21:25:56 EST 2010

Hello Hidden-Techies -

most of you will see this email on Thursday morning, and if you're so
inspired to register for the event below, you *will* need to bring
you own lunch, but it will be well worth it.

In my view, this is one of the most important programs Hidden-Tech
has ever been a part of, because it represents a more formal
engagement with the economic problems of this region - a more
organized pursuit of sustainable - or as board member Rich Roth
smartly calls it - resilient businesses.

This has long been a part of Hidden-Tech's vision, and it's kept me
actively involved since 2002. I've always been determined to be a
part of an alternative approach to economic growth in this region.
The motivations are somewhat personal - too many talented friends
left the region in search of meaningful work, and I was casting about
for a way to change that in 2002 when I got involved as a founding
board member. At Hidden-Tech, this vision has informed many of our
events, but perhaps in a subtle manner.

We're now more serious about taking this economic reinvention to
another level, and this program marks that turn in the road. Clearly
the timing couldn't be better, not just in the convergence of
green/organic business and technical/virtual innovations, but also in
the despondency many of us feel about the macro-economy. Creating a
vibrant local economy not only makes this region a better place to
live, but it's the best antidote to that sinking feel I personally
get when I turn on the television for the latest economic news.
However, we cannot do it alone. Hidden-Tech, for better and sometimes
for worse, has opted for a networked grassroots structure. Instead of
administrative overhead, we have a broad and lean approach to
communicating our message. That approach can be very powerful, but
only if people come out and make their presence felt.

I hope you'll be able to make it so that you can get in on the
beginnings of a dialogue that will definitely continue beyond this
program. The organizers have pulled in some excellent topics and
facilitators (scroll down if you haven't seen the lineup), but in
true unconference fashion, it's really the people who attend this
event who will shape its process and outcome.

Hopefully we'll see many of you there.

Jon Reed
Hidden-Tech Board Member
------

Join Us This Saturday for Resilient Business Summit...Register by
Wednesday for Complimentary Lunch

Hidden-Tech Presents: RESILIENT BUSINESSES

When: Saturday, November 13, 2010, 10:00am - 3:00pm

Where: People's Bank Conference Room, The Holyoke Community College
Kittredge Center, 303 Homestead Avenue, Holyoke MA 01040
<http://www.hcc.edu/about/get_arnd_drv.html>MAP

Cost: Open to the public, cost $25,
<http://rezbizsummit.eventbrite.com/?ref=ebtn>Register

Refreshments: Lunch provided (MUST Register by Wednesday), coffee
from Deans Beans.

Join colleagues throughout Western Mass for dynamic roundtable
discussions about what it takes to be and stay resilient in today's
economy, facilitated by area experts. Here are table topics you can
experience at <http://www.resilientbusinesses.com/>Resilient Businesses:

Dealing with People

o remaining flexible (even supple!) when working with friends and
family - Ira Bryck

o finding and holding onto the pulse of your many stakeholders -
Kirsten Bonanza

Driving Collaborative Economy

o reinventing yourself when markets change; embracing trends in the
new economic era - Prakash Laufer

o fostering collaborations among peers and competitors to sustain and
grow revenues  - Dan Finn

o Create It! A "money multiplier" simulation game & discussion on
creating money locally - William Spademan

Alternative Funding

o bootstrapping your organization when cash is scarce; growth with
non-traditional capital - Tim Cohen-Mitchell

o planning for and attracting investment opportunities - Terry Mollner

Sustainability and Resilience as a strategic focus

o making the case for resilience as a strategic focus - Jan Morgan

o local politics: what works and what could be better - Catherine Ratte

Creating and spending your money

o debt versus equity; balancing the two and planning ahead  - Mary Hoyer

o taking on debt; how much do you really need? - John Waite

For our facilitator's bio's and more,
visit<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGHRS8WunJsfrzshJwmB0TJBQdSIsZaLCW_A_wy_7Dax28azcDJcr9SWojUbOK_fFHkq-mt36puO4YImpzU5YhB-3bScvpedAYJLn_oJnXt6uJ4fzi9v-lIX7fKRsUGmuoV8knlO4m-SAcKd_M71lCbAyKUCfwxVYCf8id5XCShzN-wqgwxo9joNPhE74raVOTrZGYXMEIY59-VI3m3weBDxG-5OIoSgtD4=>www<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGHRS8WunJsfrzshJwmB0TJBQdSIsZaLCW_A_wy_7Dax28azcDJcr9SWojUbOK_fFHkq-mt36puO4YImpzU5YhB-3bScvpedAYJLn_oJnXt6uJ4fzi9v-lIX7fKRsUGmuoV8knlO4m-SAcKd_M71lCbAyKUCfwxVYCf8id5XCShzN-wqgwxo9joNPhE74raVOTrZGYXMEIY59-VI3m3weBDxG-5OIoSgtD4=>.resilientbusinesses.com

There will be wifi on site and recaps of these facilitated sessions
posted on twitter @resilientbiz

Join us and Instigate Change!

Talk About Resiliency!

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGHcXUJicntCr7TO1SvDLtM9z_GeGKCRSpyo-8vSv8D5pbDLKrcb79KlvPAhMtEp2KFD3UQ7MrvUJx-Bl2rwsBtD3iKPMUwULP-hpqj6Ni3SPQbokhtS_FDofdXVelouyo8=>Latest
posts to RB

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGEb9Tx5hX9abPfR92YSGIEuuhTq8dwilACuLmHs8ne-EMSoAq0kCYBKIS2HsBpdN23ptLHHzVIykO5nBpNOAMcEVxaKgVYw-qZTpnIrE0I61nHY4t8ATbguQvK8azs6Fdc=>Agenda
& Press Kit

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGFMgG3jHtXVKmbo3YYebXy6Q4UOsb1M2futibxVHzMED6graP8BIbLpA-1Gwgv5Xl04ohhoJNDz0u_iFEM33YVlaux1h_cQvj9GvsAWohZ0V5cZmcYQO6QQSWn595x6oYgCeVhbECfHtxDkW7Rh-JWr>Resource
Links

Walk-ins on Saturday are Welcome

(but you'll need to bring your lunch)

Register Here:
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGE-0vpbi9TpF--poBbf0C92l-fq37Urv8saagjZ6R4E6zrbHg0bHVTjeD7kYd4hqw5DYC6DtcXvuEjQwP5zXjRE9M92sPbnvxDMQRhYBxestEllqSM3rysTGyQmkLmh2q1oLjl44Lsrbg==>www.resilientbusinesses.com

About TNR Global

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=rrmzg5dab&et=1103891039306&s=55&e=0013kvXw_DzUGG-A81zh-AVM7sB6G-SLIDOT0FnhOmzsYqqNpjHihz4eip1YpbVaNQTCKr_i0rH6Uwmfw3lVPIKYzTNR-wuwcX3d0QSgQ79Np2TeV7d-I59RJQvi3buhGFg0D3AL8pctTKpIEGtefFkLxKUapcg8DF1>TNR
Global (TNR) is a systems design and integration company focused on
enterprise search and cloud computing solutions.   We develop
scalable web-based search solutions built on the open source LAMP
stack.  We have over 10 years of hands-on experience in web systems
and enterprise search implementations, both proprietary and open
source. We specialize in FAST ESP and Lucene Solr search applications.