[Hidden-tech] writing rates

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Wed Nov 10 07:49:46 EST 2010

Hunter's post contains enormous wisdom. read the whole thing again
before you hire a copy. And especially read the parts I'm repeating
below.

I've made my primary living as a copywriter for many years, with a
particular set of specialties: press releases, media and JV pitch
letters, book covers, and marketing for extremely small businesses
(0-10 employees) and/or those in the green market. Ask me to write a
technical manual and I'll likely decline.

At 8:48 PM -0500 11/9/10, Hunter Golden wrote:
>Most importantly- consider the value of the piece to the company. A
>well written article can generate a lot of leads. A bad one can make
>you look terrible. Don't rate shop. Don't blow your budget apart,
>either, but get the best bang for your buck and don't let price be
>the end-all-be-all. A well-written article/marketing piece can pay
>for itself 30-fold.

>-          I've been doing this a while and let me tell you - I've
>met some fantastic direct sales writers who can't write web content
>to save their lives. I've met great web content writers who can't
>write technical manuals to save their lives. Copywriters are not a
>one-size fits all deal. Most have different specialties. Those who
>can write really well in all those fields are going to be very
>expensive (but worth it). However, they're very difficult to come by.

>-          Stay away from content farms. They're awful. Thank god
>they exist because I make a lot of money re-doing their work, but
>it's a waste of money. Usually they have amateurs, casual
>part-timers or people in foreign countries on staff and they're
>paying them rock-bottom rates for bottom of the barrel work. I
>literally get 2-3 jobs a month from people who've had awful
>experiences at content farms. Just stay away from them.

Shel Horowitz, award-winning author of six marketing books
Marketing consultant and copywriter
Columnist: Green and Profitable
http://www.GreenAndProfitable.com
413-586-2388