[Hidden-tech] Dearest font geeks,

Lynn B. Johnson lynn at motormouth.com
Thu Nov 4 19:17:26 EDT 2010

Hi Kirsten,

Generally (sorry if this is too elementary but it's a good place to
start), you want to use Sans-serif for headlines and subheads, and
serifed fonts for body copy. Ragged-right body copy is easier to read,
with leading at about 1.5 x the font size.

Fonts are a bit different depending upon whether you're on a PC or a
Mac -- for print & web versatility, don't rely on any font that is the
name of a city (Geneva, Chicago, etc.).

Personally, I'm a sucker for Times/Times New Roman, New Century
Schoolbook (though this tends to run a little small so I bump it up a
point size or two), Americana (aaahhhh), and Avant Garde (sans-serif).
I've found that these work well both on the page and on the screen. If
you're using Photoshop, there are font smoothers availble there, too
(crisp/smooth/etc), which can help with readability.

Your project sounds fun; let me know if you want to delve more deeply
into this topic.

--Lynn