[Hidden-tech] PC Repair Shop

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue May 25 13:23:40 EDT 2010

I would also ask, if you built it yourself from parts, did you take
precautions against ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge)? Some people poo poo
the concern, but those who really know take precautions. Carelessness in
this regard can result in a system that has various levels of damage,
fails in weird ways, is hard to diagnose, etc. It is sort of like a car
that has been in an accident. You may think you've dealt with the
obvious damage, but there can be underlying damage from impact that has
been overlooked and can result in later problems and failures. The same
thing can be said about physical impact on disk drives.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center