[Hidden-tech] iPhone programming classes

Lou Franco loumfranco at gmail.com
Sat May 8 12:28:51 EDT 2010

I am going to be putting together a short intro course on iPhone programming
to be given this summer to support a book I'm writing. The course will be
free with purchase of the book.

The book and class are for novice programmers -- I will happily help you
through the coding and help you design an app that you could actually write
with your skill level.  The class will cover 2 apps, but I will stay in
touch with you and help you get through your idea.

If you have a cool idea for an iPhone app, but just don't think you could do
it -- this is the class for you.  Don't be intimidated. If you are a
professional programmer, you will probably find it too basic, but you are
welcome as well.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail directly (not through this
list) with the answers to these questions (if you can't make the summer, let
me know -- I'll be doing it in the fall if it goes well)

1. Would you prefer 4 2-hour evening sessions, or 2 4-hour weekend sessions

2. What days of the week would definitely not work -- what part of the
summer will definitely not work?

3. What programming experience do you have? Anything at all --
HTML/JavaScript/Flash/PHP/Excel macros/Hypercard -- anything you know
already.

4. Order these app ideas by level of interest
- A simple game
- An app that uses a database and integrates with contacts and the calendar
- An app that manipulates photos
- An app that uses a map and location

5. Do you own (or have access to) a Mac laptop?

Materials:

1. A book that I will give you early access to
2. An iPhone or iPod touch (or an iPad -- but we won't be covering iPad
specific things) -- not strictly necessary, but will help
3. A Mac laptop that can run the current version of Xcode (there might be
enough people to pair -- or you could rent one)