[Hidden-tech] Problem with OCR from Adobe PDF

George Forman videatives at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 07:31:51 EST 2010

Good Morning Hidden Techies,

My question deals with my attempts to scan a text document and then
convert the scan to editable text.  I have created a .doc file but the
text is stuck in blocks that make it impossible to move text from one
block to another or to have the text build as one continuous flow.  I
wonder if there is some command I can use to "flatten" the text
document in Microsoft word, something that eliminates these funny
constraints.  Here is what I have done.

1. Scan the page using my HP All in One printer, creating a PDF file
directly from the scan.
2. Open the PDF in Acrobat Professional
3. Use OCR feature in Acrobat to convert print to editable text
4. Export as a .doc file.

I work on a Mac using Snow Leopard as the operating system.

Any ideas?  My gratitude in advance,  George

George Forman, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, UMass, Amherst
President, Videatives, Inc.
19 The Hollow