[Hidden-tech] Home Recording Studio on the Cheap?

Will Loving will at dedicationtechnologies.com
Wed Jun 30 19:55:01 EDT 2010

The best mike that I¹m aware of for voice reproduction is the Œlegendary¹
Heil PR 40, widely used in radio station and other media production
settings. Amazon has it for $320 plus you¹ll need a spider mount. It is
extremely low noise, has great rear rejection (keeping out unwanted sounds
from behind it) and wonderful, resonant natural voice reproduction.

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/pr40/

If you are working in a noisy environment, you may need to control sound by
using a mike that has a tighter pickup pattern. Using Œnoise suppression¹
after the fact will just degrade the recording, you want to avoid it in the
first place if you can. The problem with a narrow pattern is that
positioning and/or Œmike technique¹ become more critical. If your
interviewee moves around a lot, that can be a problem. A lapel or headset
mike like a Countryman might be better suited.

I¹ve not done recorded calls but my understanding is that there is an
inexpensive Skype utility that will give you a recording of the call. Skype
is generally quite clear and is widely used for podcasting as is the mike
mentioned above.

Will

Will Loving, President
Dedication Technologies, Inc.