[Hidden-tech] web host problem - advice request

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Wed Jun 9 22:24:29 EDT 2010

On (09/06/10 17:53), Val Nelson wrote:
> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:53:11 -0400
> From: Val Nelson <val at valnelson.com>
> To: Hidden-Tech Listserv <hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net>
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] web host problem - advice request
>
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Hi HTers,
> Wondering what you think of this. My web host, Bluehost, has my website on a
> shared IP. One of the other websites on that server was attacked so now my
> site has been temporarily moved to a dedicated IP and I have to wait for
> propagation (anywhere from 4-72 hours-ish) for the site to be found again.
>
> To make matters worse, they will move it back once they solve the attack and
> then I'll have that same propagation situation. And they won't promise to do
> that move back overnight. Hate that.
>
> Bluehost claims this is a fairly common occurrence for shared hosting
> services but not common on any one server. Is this that common? Doesn't
> sound right to me.

For $30/yr?  Easy choice (my previous employer charged $10/mo).  Getting the dedicated IP
now will save you hassle in the short term (the switch back), and eliminate the
possibility of that particular problem biting you again.

It sounds like Bluehost has done a reasonable job in the face of difficult
circumstances, if they promptly diagnosed the problem and moved you out of the way.

good luck,
James