[Hidden-tech] Text/Code Editor

Robert Carey carey at gsi.org
Mon Jun 7 10:19:40 EDT 2010

> The question I have for y'all
> is:  How do YOU code?  There's such a wide range of tools out there,
> from texteditir, notepad, vi.. to IDE's like Eclipse and Xcode. What
> software do you use to write your code?

For general purpose coding and for languages that don't have great IDE
support I prefer emacs because it runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and its
keyboard macro facility is really simple and hard to beat.  I like
netbeans for Java because the language and libraries are well integrated
into the system.  I do frequently make use of those features of netbeans
and then use emacs to do more sophisticated editing tasks than the built
in editor will support.  I like eclipse but I have kind of settled on
netbeans for java.  The nice thing about eclipse is that it is very open
in design so there are a ton of plug-ins to support different needs.  I
was a hold out against IDEs (except in languages like Smalltalk where
they are part of the whole system.)  At this stage of the game I think
it would be severely limiting to stick with an editor alone for any
environment that had a good IDE.

I have always been a peculiar spectator in the text editor wars.  These
days I am mostly management, but even so in the course of a day I
typically use vi, emacs, notepad++, textpad, sometimes supplemented by
other tools.  I like textmate on the Mac, but I don't use it much,
mostly because of lack of familiarity and because I don't use a Mac at
work.   I generally find that each has it strengths and weaknesses, and
since many of them are free I just keep a variety available.  I also
like jedit, although I have run into some peculiarities under Windows
that have typically been fixed by subsequent releases.

Rob