[Hidden-tech] Home Recording Studio on the Cheap?

Peter Acker acker at armadilloaudiogroup.com
Thu Jul 1 15:05:22 EDT 2010

With regards to your mic selection, the pickup pattern -- in this case -- should be your first consideration. Minus a consistently 'quiet' atmosphere in which to record, I would avoid a 'cardioid', as previously suggested and go for a short-shotgun mic, giving you the tightest pickup pattern possible. A lavolier mic is an option, with some trade-off in sound quality. As suggested, a good option if your subject is moving around a lot … but only so.

Post-processing is an option depending on a number of factors, not the least of which is what software is being used for the task.

Regarding land-line vs. Skype, there's a lot of data compression happening in a Skype connection which degrades the quality right off the bat.  Computer noise can also be an issue as built-in computer mics tend to be 'omni-directional' .  Headsets w/mics can minimize this problem, but not everyone uses them.  My pref would be for a land-line, with an inexpensive hybrid device such as this from JR Audio:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/333892-REG/JK_Audio_AUTO_AutoHybrid_Telephone_Audio.html

There are other hardware suggestions along with simple setup ideas for a home studio that I'd be happy to discuss off-line with you if you like. Feel free to call.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Acker

Armadillo Audio Group