[Hidden-tech] Beware the Facebook thingy-dingy redux

Michael Billingsley michaelb at sover.net
Fri Jan 1 00:57:03 EST 2010

Just for clarification, I was using a Safari browser from a pre-Intel
Mac Powerbook running OS 10.4.11    My browser is the absolutely
latest version of 4.

I think, if you've read through all the quotes I've provided from
Dark Reading and the professional security people, you will read them
say that the page's hidden content loads whether you request anything
or not.  Just going to the page starts a routine that can include
your OS (in my case Mac 10) it presumes the ubiquity of RealPlayer
and loads a RealPlayer "update" by causing a permission path to occur
whether you like it or not.

Remember to (cautiously) visit the website for RemoteViewer.com if
you have doubts about what its programmers claim it can do.

They absolutely promise the operator of their software the ability to
probe, enter, load and then remote-control from a distant console any
hijacked ("slaved") computer with or without the computer-owner's
permission, and with or without the presence of resistive firewalls.
I would not recommend testing the validity of their claim by visiting
the Chilean, Polish or Romanian server that they are feeding the
remote operations from.  I'm not a computer-security professional, so
I can't answer your objections about what ought to be, or what ought
not to be, possible.

The professionals are saying that existing browsers are all
vulnerable, that the click-jacking is platform-independent (works
against ALL) and that only when the basic underpinning design of
browsers is radically altered will attacks and servitude of this kind
by thwarted.   Not very uplifting news, I know.  Meanwhile, since
writing the list earlier, I've received yet another Facebook mimic
from the same people encouraging me to visit (and to get my computer
"loaded-into" and enslaved... again).

This new server is in Cmolas, Poland and if you choose to test the
integrity of your browser, the server is 89.171.46.6     I wouldn't
try it if I were you.
The actual "link" if you were to click on the button in the email, is
to (in my case) AND DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME  –
  http://www.facebook.com.pitjiilil.com.pl/usersdirectory/
LoginFacebook.php?
ref=134531713131695466698480437872&email=michaelb at sover.net

DON'T ANYONE CLICK ON THE ABOVE LIVE URL LINE, please.

Although this email came, unsolicited, directly "to my door" I should
point out that the included ".pitjiilil.com.pl" address is exactly
the same domain set that was used for the direct click-jack attack on
Facebook over last weekend, so I think this adds proof to the
possibility that this is an all-out attempt to scoop up personal
computers in advance of some near-future DDoS attack.

I've received iterations of this trojan attempt on 30 October, 8
December and 30 December from servers (as I said) respectively in
Romania, Chile and Poland.

The "latest" Safari doesn't address the problem. The latest Firefox
doesn't address the problem.  The latest IE doesn't and can't address
the problem, and the problem's been around more than seven weeks.

The title of each of these emails is "Facebook Account Update" and in
each instance the sender is "Facebook"

Michael