[Hidden-tech] Off site backups

Frank Aronson (Gmail) fsaronson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 15:45:49 EST 2010

I can only address Carbonite and Mozy, as I've had experience with both of
them.

Carbonite recently added Mac capability and it works great (I set up a
client with her Mac, transferring her account from her old HP) and I
personally use Carbonite (it saved me when my laptop was stolen and I got
everything back).  Mozy, on the other hand started out Mac friendly, but
wallet-hostile.  They've since moved their pricing/capacity in line with
Carbonite.  One thing that Mozy now does that Carbonite won't do is to do
simultaneous local backups.  This gives you the best of both worlds.  If
your house burns down, or all your machinery takes a hit, you have the
cloud.  However, if only your Mac has been disabled, you can restore much
faster from the local backups.  Carbonite, on the other hand, offers
off-site access to your files.  That is, if you're in East Nowhere with
someone else's machine, or you're in a meeting with a colleague's laptop,
you can actually go out to the cloud and use whatever you have backed up.
It's a nice feature.

Hope this helps.

Frank