[Hidden-tech] you're invited to: Discussion: Making "Free" Work for You: How Artists and Entrepreneurs Can Apply "Freemium" Business Models

Jon Reed jonreed at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 1 19:13:45 EDT 2010

Hey folks -

I just put together this fun August discussion
I'll be doing as a chance for creative
types/entrepreneurs to share successes and talk
about overcoming obstacles to developing winning
business models that employ "freemium" strategies.

This is not an official Hidden-Tech event, just
something I am doing on my own to keep the summer
interesting and raise a bit of money for
(hopefully) The Innocence Project. I'll paste in
all details below, as well as a link to the
Facebook version of the event if you are
interested in tracking it there and/or promoting
it there (thanks in advance if you do!)

Hope the summer is going well!

Jon Reed, Hidden-Tech Board Member

Making "Free" Work for You: How Artists and
Entrepreneurs Can Apply "Freemium" Business Models
An Interactive Discussion

When:  Monday, August 23, 6:00 – 8:30 pm (discussion from 6:30 – 8:00)
Where: Media Education Foundation, Community
Room, Northampton MA
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=60+masonic+st,+northampton,+ma+01060&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=54.884801,113.203125&ie=UTF8&ll=42.320716,-72.633147&spn=0.00633,0.013819&z=16&iwloc=addr>map
Suggested donation: $5
Refreshments: Snacks, drinks and sandwiches can
be purchased from Woodstar Café next door

About the Event:

The "free" Internet era has powerfully impacted
intellectual property and the ability of artists
to monetize their ventures. But while some of the
implications of diminishing copyright value,
content piracy and aggregation are disturbing,
"free" also offers new opportunities for creative
people to generate revenue and increase their industry visibility.

On Monday, August 23 at the Media Education
Foundation, join Jon Reed, author of Free From
Corporate America, for a facilitated, interactive
discussion on "making the most of free." We'll
talk about some of the obstacles to monetizing
and protecting copyright and share our successes
with creating a competitive advantage through
kickass content and/or "freemium" business models.

Some of the topics from this discussion will be
inspired by Chris Anderson's Free: The Future of a Radical Price.

This discussion is a donations-optional
fundraiser, with donations planned to be made to
the Innocence Project,
<http://innocenceproject.org/>http://innocenceproject.org/.

About Jon Reed: Jon Reed is an independent
analyst and podcaster in the SAP software
marketplace. He advises clients on
community-based marketing and organic search. The
author of Free From Corporate America: A Tactical
Guide to Success on Your Own Terms, Jon is an
expert in Print on Demand publishing.

Facebook event link:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139569866073537#!/jonathanwreed