[Hidden-tech] WiredWest fiberoptic broadband

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Apr 18 13:48:26 EDT 2010

At Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:49:15 -0400 ussailis at shaysnet.com wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> I thought everything over Internet was half-duplex, because that is all
> that can be sent over a pair of wires, unless frequency division multiplex
> is used, as the phone company invented years ago.

Twisted pair is *two* pairs per cable -- it is full duplex.  Coax is
packet switched sharing a single wire.  Most modern switches (do they
still bother with hubs anymore?) will commit between pairs of ports.
Hell, even PPP over dial-up is full duplex, just slow and only handles
one active IP connection at a time (other connections stall, possibly
timing out).

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration