[Hidden-tech] Ack! 'System Media Codec' virus

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Apr 18 00:15:18 EDT 2010

At Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:09:07 -0400 "David F. Farkas" <david at farkas.com> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> I've been trying to sanitized my desktop from the System Media Codec virus.
> It intercepts anything and everything with a popup that goes to thier web
> site.
>
> I've worked in Safe Mode with SpyBot, Registry Cleaners, and a special tool
> for this virus that I download. And... the I'm still getting pop ups and the
> machine is compromised... now it's even defaulted to 640 x 480 desktop with
> blue background. <sigh>

Do you have *clean* (virus free) backups of your data files?  If so,
you probably should wipe the disk and do a fresh install. It is possible
you may just have to say good by to some of your data.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration