[Hidden-tech] WiredWest fiberoptic broadband

Town Websites townwebsites at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 22:58:24 EDT 2010

For what it's worth, I'm amazed to see 39 towns have put this on their town
meeting warrants.  I can't recall any regional initiative at the municipal
level of this scope, reaching across several regional councils of government
with a combined population I guesstimate around that of Northampton plus
Greenfield combined; towns don't often even cooperate with their immediate
neighbors on projects like this.  That alone suggests to me either than
Wired West is very well organized, or has a compelling and timely issue, or
both.

I don't really know the history of rural electrification, telephone service,
roads, and municipal services such as water and sewer, but this *is*
advocating the government, by taking municipal  action in a regional
coalition.  As a commodity service which is a natural monopoly in the last
mile, I think broadband, like water and sewer, can be well served by a
municipally operated provider, especially where the private sector hasn't
been able to provide service.

FYI, the Broadband 123 initiative doesn't try to cover the last mile; it
brings high bandwidth broadband to selected central locations.  That's a
complimentary piece of the puzzle, and isn't the hardest piece to get the
private sector to provide.  The hardest piece is to get service everywhere
that electric and telephone wires already reach.

Charlie Heath

Town Websites