[Hidden-tech] Emergency: Need two Ultra-160 hard drives

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Sep 6 15:59:11 EDT 2009

At Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:42:59 -0400 David Korpiewski <davidk at cs.umass.edu> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Does anyone know where I could get two Ultra-160 80 pin drives on the
> weekend?   One of the companies I work for seems to have lost both
> drives in a mirror.  Not sure how that happened, but regardless, the
> server has some core functionality that we need running.  I just don't
> know of any place in the area that would carry these older style drives.

No one local is going to carry *any* sort of SCSI gear (drives,
controllers, cables, terminators, etc.).  It is *possible* that either
Computer Pro or Left Click *might* have some sort of 'trade in' or
'salvage' system that might have this.  And someone at UMass might have
an older retired system with working *used* drives you might be able to
'aquire'.  (I know of some that were there in the CS Dept. as of Nov.
2005, whether they are still there now or not is not known to me.)

>     I can find them online easily enough, however, most of these places
> are not open on the weekend either.

This is going to be your only real option.  I don't think FedEd will
deliver on Labor Day, so the earliest you can get them is Tuesday.
Wednesday is more likely.  Order 4 drives and keep the extra 2 someplace
safe so you have available spares on-hand.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933