[Hidden-tech] Learning Management Systems for small businesses

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Tue Sep 1 22:28:40 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I have a customer who wants to be able to offer some online training courses
and we are looking for a simple, clean, inexpensive learning management
system to use. The courseware will probably be a mix of HTML and Flash
videos. What we need is a place to house the content and control who has
access to it, and track who has taken a given course. It would be nice but
not essential to be able to include quizzes and track how someone did on the
quizzes. We would prefer not to have lots of "bells and whistles" (or at
least have these features be hideable), especially the sorts of extra
features that are included in systems targeted at primary school users,
since the students in our case would be professionals.

We could, of course, develop our own system but before going down that road
it seems to make sense to make sure there is not something off the shelf
that would do the job.

The customer does have a budget to pay for a system but cannot spend
thousands on one of the higher-end corporate-grade systems.

The customer's website is hosted on a shared server so any solution either
needs to be compatible with a typical shared Linux server setup or needs to
be a solution that runs from the vendor's servers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bruce Hooke