[Hidden-tech] Proxy server to access protected website

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Wed Nov 18 14:04:17 EST 2009

Hi George,

I think 'EZproxy software' refers to this: http://www.oclc.org/ezproxy/default.htm

The listed configuration should be:

  U -form=post videatives http://streaming.videatives.com/session
  FormVariable authenticity_token=
  FormVariable login=USERNAME
  FormVariable password=PASSWORD
  FormVariable remember_me=
  FormVariable commit=Log in

It looks like streaming.videatives.com is using Ruby on Rails so the POST
url should be http://streaming.videatives.com/session, without the '/new' suffix.
Unfortunately, this may still not work because your site is also using the
'Request Forgery Protection' (denoted by the authenticity_token parameter)
and that requires the proxy server to first connect to the '/session/new' page (where it's
assigned the token) before it POSTS to '/session'.
I don't think EZproxy supports multistep authentication of that sort but it's worth trying.

Looking at the documentation, it appears that most of the resources accessible
through EZproxy use IP whitelists, which makes sense if users are proxied
through a single (or a small set of) IP addresses. Some also appear to use
single key authentication (probably in combination with whitelisting).

Regards

-Gyepi