[Hidden-tech] what's the good-bad-ugly on home offfice powerline networks?

'David Morf' davidtoday at comcast.net
Wed Nov 11 11:19:50 EST 2009

One responder to my earlier query about pulling Ethernet cable for a home
office mentioned the powerline alternative.  I called a tech shop in the
Valley and was told (OK, I'm going to compress the feedback here) that
powerline is a terrible snare and delusion sold by venal manufacturers to
the unwary.  Just for fun, I glanced at the D-Link site for their Starter
Kit DHP-303, and of course it looks nifty.  Also, there's some Spanish
outfit that seems to have a chipset (something like "DS2") that's supposed
to be pretty fast even after chopping throughput for line noise.  I have no
idea if that's used by D-Link or by any particular device sold in the US.
Bottom line-What's been the experience around H-T with powerline for
throughput, reliability, security?

Again, many thanks,

       David

David Morf

Complexity, context, pattern

136 Dartmouth Street

Holyoke, MA 01040

413-536-0944 (direct)

413-426-6059 (cell)

davidtoday at comcast.net

Partner & Senior Regional Economics Advisor,

US Adaptive Health Solutions, a CSE Program

US Advantage Health Institute, a CSE Program

Founding Member, Center for Semantic Excellence
www.SemanticExcellence.org <http://www.semanticexcellence.org/>

Blog: http://AnEconomyOfMeaning.wordpress.com/

LinkedIn: http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/DavidMorf