[Hidden-tech] know anyone who can pull ethernet 1 floor to home ofc & test the thruput?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Mon Nov 9 08:34:31 EST 2009

Tom Adams- Reelife Productions wrote:
> can someone explain why extending the wireless network isn't a good
> option here?
>
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:40 PM, David Morf <davidtoday at comcast.net
>> <mailto:davidtoday at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>

>>     Need a little advice…  On the 2nd floor of our home, I’ve got a
>>     TM402P Touchtone telephony & data modem from Comcast, and a
>>     Data-Link 524 router modem.  I need to shift my home office to a
>>     better work space in the house.  To do this, I need to run an
>>     Ethernet cable directly through a hole drilled between the floors
>>     (not threaded through the ancient plaster wall) from the 2nd
>>     floor to the 3rd floor, do the end clips, and then test the
>>     results for good throughput.  I need hardwire linkage for best
>>     throughput, and can’t move the modem and router to the 3rd floor
>>     because that would kill wireless to the 1st floor (I’ve been
>>     advised by my 29-year partner in life that it’s a family decision
>>     that there shall be no holes drilled down into the 1st floor for
>>     network cables).  Comcast said that a licensed electrician should
>>     do all the Ethernet work.  Is that information correct, and does
>>     anybody have suggestions for who might do that work in the
>>     college-streets area of Holyoke?

I guess we're all taking the original poster at his word. He wants wired
for best throughput.

So, does he really need it? Perhaps not, but we don't really know his
full setup or rationale. If he's doing backups between two computers,
and one is remaining on the second floor while the other is moving to
the third floor, then he might want 100Mb wired rather than wireless. If
one of them is a file server, and he's doing a lot of work on shared
files, then maybe he wants wired. It's all dependent on what he's doing
and what his response times are like. Personally, I have moved entirely
to wireless over the last several years, and I don't experience any
issues. That's 3 laptops and 2 iMacs all working off one AirPort Extreme
connected to a cable modem.

Older wireless is 10Mb, more recent wireless is 54Mb. For years, wired
was routinely 10Mb. For the last few years, 100Mb has become pretty
standard. In corporate, academic, and research environments, GigE
backbones are becoming common, and 10GigE or Infiniband for compute
clusters are not uncommon. But he's not likely to be spending the money
to get to GigE in his home.

So, it's likely his choices are between 54Mb wireless or 100Mb wired.
Not really that big a difference, unless he's right on the edge of that
in his requirements.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-