[Hidden-tech] App for reserving resources, signing up for work-shops, and tracking use/participation

Christian Lagier clagier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 11:53:57 EDT 2009

Here at Smith College Science Center, we need a small web-based application
to allow students to reserve equipment, sign up for work-shops, as well as
tracking actual equipment use (log-in at time of use to indicate time spent,
purpose, results, any issues).

(1) Are you aware of something somewhat like this already available on the
web as a service, a product, or code?

Otherwise, we're considering custom development, hosting ourselves running
on Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP + using MS Access for some core users to get to
the collected data. App would authenticate through our LDAP server.

(2) Do you know of any local firms that might be a good partner for
something like this?

As always, thank you to everybody on this list offering thoughtful and
helpful answers.

Christian