[Hidden-tech] Neo FreeRunner?

Brian Johnson site-hidden-tech at sherbang.com
Tue Jun 23 16:04:24 EDT 2009

Seth Seeger wrote:
> Does anyone have an OpenMoko Neo Freerunner phone?  I'm curious to see
> it and hear any opinions before I make a decision between that an an
> iPhone.  I know that it's probably not as flashy or as polished as the
> iPhone, but it has the major geeky factor of running Linux!

Firstly I badly wanted this phone to be great when it came out. I was
excited about a 100% open (hardware and software) phone. Unfortunately,
my understanding is that it's pretty lousy.  The software never really
got there and isn't suitable for use as a daily phone.  It can be an ok
phone with the Android software installed on it, but if you're going to
do that then you're probably better off getting the G1 because it has
nicer hardware. If you're not on T-Mobile you can get Google's developer
phone which is an unlocked G1. With that, the only thing you'll be
missing is 3G support but the OpenMoko phone isn't 3G anyway.

Myself, since I'm on AT&T (and don't want an iPhone), I'm sticking with
my old phone until either an Android phone or the Palm Pre is available
on AT&T. Based on what I'm seeing on the tech rumor sites I'm hoping
this will be by the end of the year.

BTW: The development kits for both OpenMoko and Android each include an
emulator for their phones. This gives you a way to try out the software
a bit without having to buy the hardware.