[Hidden-tech] cell phone and laptop in Thailand

J. Cohen ht at westernmasswebdesign.com
Thu Jun 18 02:48:16 EDT 2009

Reva Reck wrote:
> I'm going to Thailand and need to be able to stay connected with my
> laptop and a cell phone (mine or rented). Does anyone have any
> experience with Thailand specifically? Will I need any kind of power
> supply converter for my chargers? Does it make sense to rent a cell
> rather than use my own? I know my cell will work internationally, I just
> don't have a sense of relative costs.

This site is useful:
http://www.kropla.com/electric.htm

It says:
Thailand  	 220 V  	50 Hz  	A &  C*
*Some outlets are a combination of type A and C and can accept either
type plug.

Check your device to see what the voltage requirements are.  The AC
adapter on my laptop says input 100-240V and 50/60hz so it would work in
Thailand with only a plug adapter.  I carry one plug adapter with
multiple prongs so it works in most (every?) country.  I bought it on an
airplane for around $20.

Here is type A:
http://www.kropla.com/!ab.htm
(USA-style)

Here is type C:
http://www.kropla.com/!c.htm

For overseas cell rates, call your cell company.  If you have AT&T,
watch out for their overseas mobile data plans.  They have a scam where
they charge people $120 to turn off the overseas data plan every time
you return.

I haven't been to Thailand, but if you have a mobile phone with a sim
card you should be able to buy a local pay-as-you go sim card overseas
and put it in your phone. Example:
http://www.0044.co.uk/Thailand.htm

Another good option is Skype.  You can call most countries from your
laptop for very cheap.  People can call your laptop by dialing a local
USA phone number.

Josh