[Hidden-tech] Opinions: Voice Recognition Software and Jott

Tom Gajda Tom at EngineeringWriter.com
Fri Jan 23 09:36:42 EST 2009

Hi Dan,

You don't have to buy any software. A perfectly good voice recognition
system is built into Windows XP and Vista. It is fully integrated with MS
Word as well.

In XP go to Control Panel/Speech/Speech Recognition.

If you have a quiet office, you computer's built in microphone should work
fine.

I have made two attempts to go with voice recognition: once many years ago
with IBM Via Voice and once last year with Windows XP. Both times, with much
effort, I could not make the switch.

I type much faster and more accurately than speaking deliberately into a
voice recognition program. When typing, I never have to go back and make
corrections that are not my fault. The accuracy rate is surprisingly high
even with limited training, but not good enough for me. I think I also think
differently when typing than when sitting back and talking. Can't really
explain this phenomenon.

If your typing is pitiful, as you suggested, voice recognition might be
helpful to you. You can also control MS Word just by verbal instructions.
"Open new file."

If you put in the time to train and learn the commands, and have a quiet
office, with time, it might be a viable system for you.

I would recommend testing with the built-in Windows version before spending
money on a separate program such as Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Gajda
Engineering Writer