using a smartphone as laptop modem - Re: [Hidden-tech] Re: unlocking cell phones - how's Sprint for 3G 'roundthese parts?

Christofer deHahn cdehahn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 11:37:48 EST 2009

Andrew,

Like I mentioned before, if you want to subscribe to a tethering plan with
Sprint, it is known as a PAM (Phone As Modem) plan. It's usually $15/month
and has a 5GB/month cap. You do not need a PAM plan if you tether the phone
properly. Web data and file transfers are all counted as bytes of data. You
can check your usage on the My Sprint page. It is updated every few hours.

Aircards from Sprint are also subject to the 5GB/month cap. The way Sprint
handles this is as follows. They average your data usage for the previous
three months. If this average exceeds 5GB/month, then they send you a letter
informing you of your "excessive usage". If this continues for some period
after the letter, usually another 2-3 months, then they will terminate your
account. You will not be subject to an ETF.

Chris