[Hidden-tech] New Massachusetts Encryption Law

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Feb 27 16:55:59 EST 2009

Graham Clarke wrote:
> We've had to do data encryption for banking and health care.  Here are
> a couple of lessons learned:
>
> 1) live two way encryption is a lot different than just encrypting
> backed up data
> 2) the cost of application security is more exponential than linear
> 3) encryption and decryption can impose a large performance penalty on
> your application. 5) how good is good enough?  the stronger the
> encryption the larger the more horsepower you need
> 6) data encryption is only 1 piece of your application security.
> locking the doors is silly if you leave all the windows open or leave
> the keys under the door mat.  do a system wide security evaluation
> 7) what are the industry standards? PCI for credit cards --
> https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/, HIPAA, etc ...
> 8) harden your servers

Good information (aside from what got encrypted somewhere between 3 and
6 ;-) ).

On point 8, I think I may have forwarded this to the list before; but,
it doesn't hurt to do it again. The NSA provides guides to securing
various applications and operating systems:

   http://www.nsa.gov/ia/guidance/security_configuration_guides/index.shtml

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-