[Hidden-tech] New Massachusetts Encryption Law

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Feb 27 15:56:37 EST 2009

RA Cohen wrote:

> Bacula certainly supports data encryption -->>
> http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Data_Encryption.html
>
> All of my clients are running bacula and I am certainly available to
> assist others with this fine "Enterprise-Grade" program.

Well, we could get into religious wars here. ;-)

Amanda and Bacula are both open source projects and typically require a
little more effort in the initial setup than some commercial products.
But they are free and have free community support.

Both products also have commercial support available from various
consultants and companies. It seems that Bacula has a little stronger
local support from consultants in Europe, although Amanda clearly has
stronger commercial support worldwide. Zmanda has been providing
commercial support for a few years as well as funding programmers to
work on the project; and, through their enterprise partnership with Sun,
has enlisted Sun contract support for enterprises worldwide. So, in the
last few years, Amanda development has moved faster and more solidly.
They are one of the few open source projects that has been Security
Certified by the Department of Homeland Security. They have also
recently developed an interface for backing up to Amazon S3. So, you can
put your encrypted data out on the cloud, if you choose.

Recently, linuxquestions.org held their annual members choice awards,
and Amanda finished well ahead of Bacula in the voting.

Several years back, if I were in a Mac or Windows environment (without
Linux or Unix), I would have *highly* recommended Retrospect. I don't
think there has ever been a better product or better customer support
than what Dantz Development had in Retrospect in the 1990's on the Mac.
It isn't exactly dying on the vine; but, in the years since it was
bought out by EMC, it hasn't received the attention that I think it
should. I still have situations where I use it, and I haven't found what
I would regard as a really good alternative in the Small to Medium
Business market for Mac and Windows. There certainly are products out
there, but user complaints are typically loud and/or the prices are very
high.

When I chose between Amanda and Bacula several years ago, I chose Amanda
for a couple of reasons. I thought the programming support was stronger,
the long term history was stronger, I liked the structure and approach,
and it didn't have the complexity for running and for disaster recovery
in terms of all the things it required. For Bacula, you have to be
running multiple daemons and an SQL database. Sometimes, the SQL
database can be the performance bottleneck. In disaster recovery
situations, you have more to get up and running before you can really
start recovering, and recovering an SQL database can be a project in
itself. With Amanda, I can read the tapes with native utilities and
basically just need a Linux or Unix system with a tape drive. I've also
had unbelievably good rock solid stability from Amanda.  When I had a
hardware failure on my tape drive a couple of years ago, I didn't have
time to be worrying about what Amanda was doing. I had to focus on
getting the drive repaired and dealing with the vendor. That ended up
taking a couple of days. Amanda's intelligent planner automatically
dropped back and did incremental backups only to disk, trying to
conserve holding disk space until the tape drive became available again.
When the tape drive was repaired, late one evening, and I went home dog
tired, Amanda noticed it running, cycled through the tapes, and
automatically flushed the incrementals out to tape and began catching up
on full backups. The next morning, all I had to do was read the email
report from Amanda to see that things were back to normal. I never had
to touch Amanda through the whole episode. It just did what it was
supposed to do, and my systems continued to get backed up every night.

Anyway, for either Amanda or Bacula, you need a slightly more tech savvy
sysadmin to get things set up and running. Typically, the server will be
Linux or Unix. Both can back up Macs and PCs.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator