[Hidden-tech] New Massachusetts Encryption Law

Charlie Heath htcontact at townwebsites.com
Fri Feb 27 12:52:17 EST 2009

Thanks for the clarification; indeed, I think anyone handing this
information (SS, credit cards, drivers license) should already be
handling it with appropriate care, less the regulatory compliance liability.

If you're storing plain-text passwords of any kind, you should encrypt
those, even if the password does not give access to a critical
account.   It shouldn't be hard to do, and will help protect users
accounts not only to the accounts you control but also elsewhere, where
there might be more critical information. I don't want to know the
passwords of the people I set up accounts for, and certainly don't want
to leave their passwords anywhere on a system I've got responsibility
for, even if the only thing the password does is grant access to a
semi-public website.

Charlie