[Hidden-tech] New Massachusetts Encryption Law

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Thu Feb 26 11:59:13 EST 2009

Before you get too excited about this, it helps to note what the law
defines as personal information:

"Personal information," a  Massachusetts resident's first name and last
name or first initial and last name in combination with any one or more
of the following data elements that relate to such resident: (a)  Social
Security number; (b)  driver's license number or state-issued
identification card number; or (c)  financial account number, or credit
or debit card number, with or without any required security code, access
code, personal identification number or password, that would permit
access to a resident’s financial account; provided, however, that
“Personal information” shall not include information that is lawfully
obtained from publicly available information, or from federal, state or
local government records lawfully made available to the general public.

If you have that kind of information on your computers in an unencrypted
form, whether for yourself or others, you are being rather foolish.

Jan Werner