[Hidden-tech] New Massachusetts Encryption Law

J. Cohen ht at westernmasswebdesign.com
Fri Feb 27 01:28:06 EST 2009

David Korpiewski wrote:
> I was just notified about a new Massachusetts data encryption law that
> is going into effect May 1, 2009.   It is pretty harsh and requires all
> data with personal information to be encrypted, even on backup tapes.
> I'm trying to find a software solution that will use software encryption
> when backing up to a tape library one of the companies I work for
> already owns.   Does anyone know of any backup software that supports
> software encryption when dumping data to tape?

Thanks for the warning. I've never heard of it before.

I wasn't sure what "personal data" meant, but looked it up:

"Personal information," a  Massachusetts resident's first name and last
name or first initial and last name in combination with any one or more
of the following data elements that relate to such resident:
(a)  Social Security number;
(b)  driver's license number or state-issued identification card number; or
(c)  financial account number, or credit or debit card number, with or
without any required security code, access code, personal identification
number or password, that would permit access to a resident’s financial
account;
provided, however, that “Personal information” shall not include
information that is lawfully obtained from publicly available
information, or from federal, state or local government records lawfully
made available to the general public.

I was worried that it applied to any usernames, email addresses and
passwords...

Josh

--
http://twitter.com/hostelmana