[Hidden-tech] Purchase Email List

Dan Green dan at thegreeninternetgroup.com
Wed Feb 25 16:52:10 EST 2009

Hi Silvana,

I've done quite a bit of email list acquisition over the last several years
but have pretty much stopped.  Good lists are expensive and quality sources
are few due tougher spam laws and ISP vigilance.  But I would be happy to
direct you to a source or two if your client insists. Beware of companies
offering great prices(this includes list appending services too).   However,
before making any recommendations to your client here are a few other
important considerations.

The vendor should be able to provide:

Recency of subscribers (each name should have date and time of registration)

Historical response rates

Frequency of updates

IP verification

The vendor should also be able to show you the sites from which the
subscribers co-registered. This is useful when determining quality and
relevance to the vertical you're targeting.

In addition most of the reputable, if you can call them that, companies now
insist on doing the send themselves, partially because of spam laws and
probably also for the revenue.  Most ask between 12-1500 per send for a base
number of emails, like up to 1000 and increase by volume.  They'll take your
creative but the price doesn't drop much.

It's likely these vendors are using in-house programs to send the emails as
companies with the best deliverability rates like Exact Target and Lyris
won't touch purchased emails. They've worked hard to get these rates
maximized.  So even if the addresses are decent many might not get through.

It's rarely a great idea anymore.  You're client is  way better off using a
screen scraping program and pulling the names off of business directories-I
am KIDDING!

Dan

Dan Green

President

The Green Internet Group

Office: 413.253.3400 | Cell: 413.658.8470

 <http://www.TheGreenInternetGroup.com> www.TheGreenInternetGroup.com

  _____