[Hidden-tech] Beware the Facebook thingy-dingy redux

Michael Billingsley michaelb at sover.net
Wed Dec 30 21:40:19 EST 2009

The original posting - which under my signature tells Facebook's
experience with "clickjacking" gives some of the details.  It depends
upon the browser, and according to security experts, all browser apps
including Firefox are vulnerable if you land on the wrong page or
click on the wrong (deceptive) button.  Security people fault web
browser developers for being entirely in a defensive/responsive mode
instead of evolving a completely reworked approach to browser page
viewing.

Here's an excerpt from an October 2008 article about "clickjacking"...

The clickjacking concept is nothing new, but the threat that Grossman
and Hansen discovered is. It spans multiple browser families and
doesn’t even require that a user click on anything. Just loading a
compromised page sets off the attack, and clicking on that page will
likely make things worse for the victim, they say. “And whether
JavaScript is on or off, it will affect you,” he says.

The attacker can slide any malware underneath the mouse such that the
user has no idea he or she is in the danger zone. So on the Website,
a user could click on a bad link chosen by the attacker and the user
would have no clue because the URL is invisible to them. A commonly
used button on a Website could be loaded with this attack, for
example, so that the user would be most likely to click on it and
then get further compromised, the researchers say.

This is the "new" Internet.

Browser designers can design against it, but the outcome isn't going
to make anyone happy... as another article says, our very commonplace
expectation of flashmovies, pop-up tables and viewers, on-page
interactivity, etc. gives all manner of openings for this new style
of attack.  Firefox did develop a plug-in to help shield users to
some extent, but it also involves "shutting off" interactivity to
every new site you visit until you're sure that it, and its content,
are safe.   (And that wouldn't have helped with respect to the
following Facebook clickjack.)   Note that this is 14 months after
the Grossman and Hanson article spelling out the problem.

And as an added irony, the clickjacking attack that occured directly
on the Facebook site over last weekend affected only Chrome and
Firefox browsers. (It gave a short movie download after "testing" if
you are human... by asking you to click on one colour button out of a
field of multiple others.  After which your successful "click" led to
the page that invisibly loaded the scary micro-app while
simultaneously "rewarding" each user by providing a YouTube video).
This ain't nice 'ol Kansas anymore.

More here - http://www.darkreading.com/security/management/
showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211201251

Michael Cerulli Billingsley
Straight Arrow Recordings
802-254-3975/380-6408
The Cotton Mill, Brattleboro, Vermont
Location Recording - CD Mastering - Audio Solutions/FX